Clinical & Workflow Improvements with PAPA Healthcare – Clinical Liaison Insights
My productivity has greatly improved which has allowed me to be more responsive to my referral sources and patients. The iPad instructional videos have enhanced our teaching capabilities, thereby decreasing the patients’ anxiety up front and enhancing their compliance with at home therapies. We have also seen an increase with the overall satisfaction of our services.
Workflow and communications had significant inefficiencies
Brookwood Baptist Health Home Infusion provides home infusion therapies and services for Brookwood Baptist Health’s five-hospital system throughout central AL. There were many manual steps in any given workday that resulted in inefficiencies that impacted the processing of home infusion referrals, the hospital, and patients.
Some of the specific challenges faced were the following:
- Patient documents had to be copied, faxed, labeled, and stored in the EMR. Often this required trips to different floors of the hospital to access medical records, the copier, and the fax.
- It would take several minutes, multiple times per day, to remotely login to the EMR to either update information or get critical information to continue the next step in the workflow.
- When the clinical liaisons traveled to rural areas with poor connectivity, they were fully offline which hampered data collection and access to essential information in the EMR.
- There were a lot of back-and-forth email communications between the clinical liaison and intake about what information was needed to complete the referral process.
- The clinical liaisons were dragging heavy workbags, similar to flight attendants, in order to carry their heavy computers, forms, and teaching materials.
- Orders sent to physicians would get lost which could potentially result in delayed discharges which could also impact hospital bed utilization.
- Patient’s signatures on forms would be lost or not acquired, resulting in billing delays.
- Patient’s received training in the hospital, but still had to go home the first night and begin their therapy without the benefit of in-person assistance.
PAPA Healthcare’s mobile Clinical Liaison solutions streamlined workflow and communications, and improved clinical training
Brookwood Baptist Health Home Infusion implemented the Clinical Liaison mobile app in September of 2016. Since then, PAPA Healthcare’s Clinical Liaison app has been a key technology for improved workflow and clinical quality.
- Patients now have access to instructional videos on an iPad of a nurse showing them how to follow their therapy with the equipment they will be using. Furthermore, they go home and have access to that training over the web which greatly assists them with compliance with their medication administration and helps decrease the risk of 30-day readmissions.
- Clinical liaisons have secure fingertip access to all of the documents in the EMR and can view them on either device.
- Clinical liaisons can quickly capture documents with secure mobile solutions, therefore eliminating the need to locate a copier and a fax and wait in line to use them – multiple times a day.
- Clinical liaisons can have patients sign forms on the iPad which are immediately stored in the EMR.
- The off-line capabilities allow the clinical liaisons to capture data and still see essential information from the EMR and automatically sync when connectivity is regained.
- Intake specialists can prepare financial forms and have them immediately available for the clinical liaison to capture the patient’s signature. Changes can be made which are immediately available in the field for the patient to sign.
- Clinical liaisons can work with physicians to get signatures on Detailed Written Orders which can help expedite patient discharge and help hospitals optimize their bed turns.
- Clinical liaisons now carry an iPad and an iPhone in a lightweight bag instead of a large, heavy bag with a laptop.
Increased productivity and satisfaction
The Clinical liaisons have seen a productivity increase of 15% and that has improved the service level to the hospital and the patients. The level of job-related stress of clinical liaisons has been reduced with workflow automation, enhanced teaching tools, and a lightweight mobile toolset.
- Collection of supporting documents has eliminated time wasted with copiers and fax machines.
- Digital form capture has sped up the process to collect signatures.
- The iPad instructional videos have increased patient satisfaction and compliance with their therapies.
- The iPhone and iPad apps provide rapid access to all of the information needed while reducing the need to carry around a heavy computer bag.
“My productivity has greatly improved which has allowed me to be more responsive to my referral sources and patients. The iPad instructional videos have enhanced our teaching capabilities thereby decreasing the patients’ anxiety up front and enhancing their compliance with at home therapies. We have also seen an increase with the overall satisfaction of our services,” said Shelly, Clinical Liaison for Brookwood Baptist Health Home Infusion.