PAPA Healthcare helps improve clinical outcomes with unique patient education solutions, speeds access to essential insights, and improves productivity
PAPA Healthcare’s instructional videos have helped our patients experience better clinical outcomes with fewer complications. The videos are user friendly and put patients and their families at ease having that resource available at their discretion in their own home.
Patients faced the critical first night home having to do their therapy for the first time on their own which sometimes resulted in complications. Clinical liaisons faced challenges with inefficient data collection and difficult access to essential information that slowed response times to referral sources.
St. Thomas’s Home Infusion provides home infusion therapies and services to Central Tennessee. They faced challenges, common in the industry, with inefficient information collection as well as ensuring patient compliance with the therapy for the first night home.
Some of the specific challenges faced were the following:
- Patient’s received training in the hospital, but still had to go home the first night and begin their therapy without the benefit of in-person assistance.
- Patient’s signatures on forms would be lost or not acquired, resulting in billing delays.
- Digital documents on the hospital side were transformed into faxed documents that needed to be manually transcribed into the home infusion EMR by the intake specialists.
- Clinical documents had to be copied, faxed, labeled, and stored into the EMR. Often this required trips by the clinical liaison to different floors of the hospital to access medical records, the copier, and the fax.
- Supporting clinical documentation often came bundled together making it less efficient for clinical liaisons, intake specialists, qualifications specialists, and the billing team to find pertinent information.
- Remote logins to the EMR and having to drill down into the EMR to find essential information, multiple times per day, had a cumulative impact on efficiency. The problem was exacerbated when traveling in rural areas with poor connectivity and the system did not work offline.
- Orders sent to physicians would get lost and sometimes require in-person follow-up to complete which would result in delays in discharging the patient as well as delays in completing the necessary documentation.
Leveraging PAPA Healthcare’s solutions to fill gaps, streamline workflow and communications, and enhance patient education
Since December of 2016, St. Thomas’s Home Infusion has been using PAPA Healthcare’s Clinical Liaison, Intake Specialist, and Patient solutions. PAPA Healthcare was integrated with the home infusion EMR as well as the solutions on the hospital side for transition of care management, providing a layer of technology to fill in the gaps in the existing workflows:
- Patient instruction in the hospital is augmented with high quality video instruction that the patient and their families are also able to access at home via the web.
- Clinical liaisons have secure fingertip access to all of the documents in the EMR and can view them on either their iPhones or iPads.
- Clinical liaisons can quickly capture documents with secure mobile solutions that previously required finding a copier, a fax, and waiting in line – multiple times a day.
- Intake specialists can download a whole set of clinical documents into the EMR in less than a minute in what previously took 10-30 minutes per referral.
- Intake specialists and clinical liaisons are able to collaborate to make changes on-the-fly to the financial forms and have them immediately available to the patient for signature.
- Clinical liaisons have all of the patient forms that can be completed and signed on the iPAD and immediately stored in the EMR. Data from the EMR is pulled to pre-populate the forms, making it easier for the patient to complete the paperwork.
- Clinical liaisons can capture physician signatures on Detailed Written Orders and also provide them with the most up to date information on their patients, increasing physician satisfaction.
Improved clinical outcomes, improved satisfaction, and increased productivity
There have been significant improvements in clinical productivity, satisfaction, and the quality of patient education.
“PAPA Healthcare’s instructional videos have helped our patients experience better clinical outcomes with fewer complications. The videos are user friendly and put patients and their families at ease having that resource available at their discretion in their own homes. PAPA Healthcare’s solutions have also increased the productivity of our clinical liaisons and intake specialists by 15%, allowing us to better respond to the needs of our referral sources and patients,” said Mila, General Manager.